top of page
Search

a studio-day with the patterns


Digitizing the old paper patterns of the tailor shop begins with taking photos of them.


I booked the photo-studio of the university for a day to take photos of the old paper patterns.

In terms of digitizing them it is important to have a flawless base. So the setup was not too easy, to be honest. I first drew a grid on a paper with lines 10by10cm. In the studio we built up a huge kind of tripod under a huge softlight box for the flash. Everything had to be exact, so with the help of the studio staff and a spirit level we managed to adjust the camera in the perfect position.



The process followed a pattern (pun intended :) ). I took off the paper pieces of the rack, I marked them with a stamp. Every piece got a Set-number and a Pattern-number. Later I laid them flat on the papergrid, took the photos, put them back together as a set, and so on... After a while I realized how exhausting it is, and how much time it really takes. Sidenote: According to the studio staff I managed a lot more Photos than expected, but still there are a lot more to go.

At the End of the day I took 175 photos, which equals 45 pattern sets.


Next steps: Not only that i will go to the studio again taking hundreds photos more, I have to edit every single picture reducing the lense curvature. I guess I will go with lightroom and photoshop. After this I will be able to make vectorpatterns. Maybe with illustrator, maybe with grafis, maybe with clo3d. Lets see, there is more to come soon.



39 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page